In pursuing its missions of teaching, research, and service, the University of Iowa seeks to advance scholarly and creative endeavor through leading-edge research and artistic production; to use this research and creativity to enhance undergraduate, graduate, and professional education, health care, and other services provided to the people of Iowa, the nation, and the world; and to educate students for success and personal fulfillment in a diverse world.
The University of Iowa carries out its academic mission primarily through its 11 colleges, which offer undergraduate and graduate education, professional education, and education and training in the health sciences.
Iowa is known around the world for its balanced commitment to the arts, sciences, and humanities. It's home to one of the nation's largest and most highly acclaimed academic medical centers, the pioneering Iowa Writers' Workshop, and more than 200 different academic areas of study for students to explore.
For a breakdown of our administration, click here.
Hawkeyes come from everywhere and all walks of life. They bring their passions and their perspectives with them, enriching our community and the world.
from 114 countries and all 50 states
with a 16:1 student-to-faculty ratio
and 78% of classes having fewer than 30 students.
Student enrollment profile, fall 2017
|Graduate and professional||7,535|
Here's some of what our students, faculty, and staff have accomplished:
- #31 - U.S. News & World Report “Best Public Universities”
- One of the top 250 universities in the world (Times Higher Education)
- 1 of 62 members of the elite Association of American Universities
- #9 - Happiest Students (Princeton Review)
- #1 creative writing program in the U.S. (Poets & Writers magazine)
- 13 consecutive years on the Fiske Guide to Colleges "Best Buy" list
For more rankings and facts, click here.