In pursuing its missions of teaching, research, and service, the University of Iowa seeks to advance scholarly and creative endeavor through leading-edge research and artistic production; to use this research and creativity to enhance undergraduate, graduate, and professional education, health care, and other services provided to the people of Iowa, the nation, and the world; and to educate students for success and personal fulfillment in a diverse world.
The University of Iowa carries out its academic mission primarily through its 11 colleges, which offer undergraduate and graduate education, professional education, and education and training in the health sciences.
Student enrollment profile, fall 2017
|African American or Black||1,035||3.1%|
|Alaskan Native or American Indian||58||0.2%|
|Hispanic or Latino(a)||2,214||6.6%|
|Native Hawaiian or Pacific Islander||24||0.1%|
|Race and Ethnicity Not Identified||1,721||5.1%|
|Postdoctoral and other faculty||761|
|Professional and scientific staff||10,154|
And where have our students and faculty taken us?
- #38 - U.S. News & World Report “Best Public Universities”
- One of the top 250 universities in the world (Times Higher Education)
- 1 of 62 members of the elite Association of American Universities (member since 1909)
- #1 creative writing program in the U.S. (Poets & Writers magazine)
- 14 consecutive years on the Fiske Guide to Colleges "Best Buy" list
For more rankings and facts, click here.