UPCOMING K-12 OUTREACH EVENTS
- May 12, 2018 - Mother/Daughter STEM Day - Grades 1-3 - REGISTRATION IS CLOSED
- June 17-22, 2018 - WiSE Belin Blank Center Jr. Scholars Institute - Grades 6-8 - Residential Camp - REGISTRATION NOW OPEN - FIND INFORMATION AT: http://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/students/program.aspx?P=JSI
- July 23 - 26 (Monday - Thursday) WiSE PLTW Summer STEM Camp - Rising 1st & 2nd Graders, Rising 3rd & 4th Graders, and Rising 5th & 6th Graders. REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN - https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6Y8zA4yWxlLW7QN
- September 9, 2018 - Potential Grandparent/Granddaughter STEM Day - Grades K-2 Registration will open August 2018.
- February 10, 2019 - WiSE STEM Extravaganza - Grades 4-6. Registration will open January 2019.
- March 17 - 24, 2018 - Spring Break - WiSE PLTW Launch STEM Camp - Grades 1-3 - REGISTRATION will open January 2019.
Be the first to find out about upcoming WiSE Outreach events. Join our E-MAIL LIST by e-mailing email@example.com.
UPCOMING TEACHER TRAINING EVENTS
- WiSE Femineer™ Creative Robotics (Kinetic Art) Teacher Training - Open to all 6-12 teachers - August 6-8, 2018
- Apply to become a University of Iowa College of Engineering (UIowa COE) Femineer™ Adopt-a-School for Creative Robotics (Kinetic Art) - open to all IOWA 6-12 teachers - DEADLINE is 11:59 p.m., June 11, 2018
- UIowa COE Femineer™ Adopt-a-School Overview: Click HERE
- UIowa Femineer™ Adopt-a-School Application: https://uiowa.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_6rRqclRwgMDXU8Z
K-12 Outreach Descriptions
For Teachers - University of Iowa College of Engineering WiSE Femineer™ Program – Grades 6-12The Femineer™ Program was created at Cal Poly Pomona’s College of Engineering in 2013. The purpose of the program is to inspire female students to pursue STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) in their education and career. The University of Iowa WiSE Program is the first University Affiliate outside of California. This program is implemented in local schools and communities. UIowa Femineer™ provides grades 5-12 with the opportunity to visit the University of Iowa and participate in a UIowa WiSE Femineer™ Summit.
The program has three 30-hour modules, which introduce girls to computer science, coding, and computer/electrical engineering. Students also explore careers in these areas.
- Creative Robotics (Kinetic Art)
- Wearable Technology
- Pi Robotics
UIowa WiSE is piloting the program in two schools during the fall of 2017. For information on bringing UIowa WiSE Femineer™ to your school or program in the state of Iowa, please contact our Director for Outreach and Recruitment, Chelle Lehman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
White House Recognizes Femineer™ Program
Alburnett WiSE Femineers™
First UIowa WiSE Femineer™ Program in Iowa
University of Iowa WiSE PLTW Launch Camps – Grades K-6Project Lead The Way (PLTW) is a national transformative learning experience that inspires, engages, and empowers K-12 students. The University of Iowa WiSE PLTW Launch Program is a joint venture between the University of Iowa PLTW Program and the University of Iowa WiSE Program to engage more young women in STEM opportunities. Undergraduate WiSE women will complete PLTW Launch K-5 teacher training and facilitate engineering, computer science, and biomedical science modules at each grade level. The University of Iowa will host PLTW WiSE Launch programming on campus as a camp or workshop experience for young women. Programming is currently being planned for Spring Break week 2018.
Save the Date: March 12 – 16, 2018
Save the Date: July 23 - 26, 2018
Belin-Blank Center Junior Scholars Institute in Collaboration with WiSE
Each summer WiSE collaborates with the Belin-Blank JSI program to bring you a STEM camp for young women. The WiSE camps are taught on a 3-year rotating schedule. For information about this year's camp -Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Health Sciences Research and Lab Experience Camp, please visit the JSI website: http://www2.education.uiowa.edu/belinblank/students/classlisting.aspx?P=...
Course #1: Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Environmental STEM Camp (Summer 2017)
Course #2: Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Health Sciences Research and Lab Experience Camp (Summer 2018)
Course #3: Women in Science and Engineering (WiSE) Engineering Camp (Summer 2019)
University of Iowa WiSE STEM Extravaganza – Grades 4-6
WiSE STEM Extravaganza is hosted in February each year for young women in grades 4-6. STEM faculty, industry professionals, and our WiSE undergraduate women host breakout and large-group sessions that focus on the four areas of S-T-E-M. The afternoon ends with the always-popular making of liquid nitrogen ice cream. Mark your calendars for February 11, 2018!
REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED