The mission of the Women in Science and Engineering Program is to expand and improve educational and professional opportunities for women in all fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) by facilitating individual, institutional, and social change.
The specific aims of the WiSE Program are:
- To provide academic support;
- WiSE is committed to promoting activities that motivate and encourage undergraduate and graduate students to complete degree programs and pursue careers in scientific and technical fields.
- To promote professional development;
- WiSE is committed to promoting activities that empower women scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and health professionals to be successful and assume leadership positions in their professional careers.
- To facilitate research opportunities;
- WiSE is committed to supporting efforts to monitor the recruitment and retention of women as students, staff, and faculty, and to assess the effectiveness of WiSE activities in supporting full participation of women and girls in science and engineering educational programs and professions.
- To establish and maintain community outreach; and
- WiSE is committed to promoting educational opportunities in STEM for K-12 female students that empower young women and expose them to career pathways in STEM. Undergraduate WiSE Women will help lead these outreach programs. Working with K-12 students will provide our undergraduate WiSE Women with high impact learning and leadership experiences.
- To encourage global cooperation
- WiSE is committed to supporting activities that prepare women to enter the international STEM workforce; that support academic partnerships with foreign institutions; and that encourage the scholarship and professional development of international women in STEM disciplines who come here to study and work.