The mission of the Women in Science and Engineering Program is to expand and improve educational and professional opportunities for women by facilitating individual, institutional, and social change.
The specific aims of the WiSE Program are:
- To provide academic support;
- WiSE is committed to promoting activities that motivate and encourage undergraduate and graduate students to complete degree programs and pursue careers in engineering and other STEM majors.
- To promote professional development;
- WiSE is committed to promoting activities that empower women engineers to be successful and assume leadership positions in their professional careers.
- To facilitate research opportunities;
- WiSE is committed to supporting efforts to monitor the recruitment and retention of women as students, staff, and faculty, and to assess the effectiveness of WiSE activities in supporting full participation of women and girls in STEM educational programs and professions.
- To establish and maintain community outreach; and
- WiSE is committed to supporting educational opportunities in STEM for K-12 students when requested in order to empower young women and expose them to career pathways in STEM.
- To encourage global cooperation
- WiSE is committed to supporting activities that prepare women to enter the international workforce; that support academic partnerships with foreign institutions; and that encourage the scholarship and professional development of international women in STEM disciplines who come here to study and work.