The University Club
Karen Seda, President
Women of The University Club, I am very honored to have been asked to lead The University Club in Iowa City for this upcoming year. We are over 700 women strong, and I think that is amazing.
Our organization was founded back in 1917, and our mission is to promote the interaction of women of all ages and affiliations who are interested in the University of Iowa and the surrounding Iowa City community.
We are a Social Club and we socialize primarily in three ways:
- Our Luncheon & Speaker Programs, held monthly September through May at the Radisson Hotel
- Our Newcomer’s Division, which serves as an introduction to our Club for women new to Iowa City or The University Club. University Club Members within their first four years are invited to Newcomer’s Summer Coffees and Newcomer’s Programs, held in the Fall, Winter and Spring
- Our over thirty Interest Groups, which are highlighted in the first issue of the Clarion
University Club Membership is not limited to those associated with the University of Iowa or its alumni. Annual Dues are only $20 per year, but Luncheon Programs and Interest Groups may have their own fees.
My vision for this upcoming year has four areas of focus:
- Grow our bonds of friendship within the University Club
- Grow our Membership with new and interesting women
- Highlight our many Interest Groups to increase knowledge about and interest in new groups
- Explore new technologies that might enhance our Member experience. Findings will be presented to our Board for discussion about pros/cons and the realistic usability for our Club Membership
Can I ask all of you to participate? Please feel free to reach out and introduce yourself to someone new each time you attend a University Club event or Interest Group. Welcome Newcomers. Grab a brochure and tell a friend about our group. Can we each introduce one new friend to The University Club this year?
Our first event will be our Annual Fall Fair, to be held on Tuesday, September 10, 2019, from 10am-12noon at the Parkview Church. Our President-elect, Diane Dalton, is this year’s host. Her theme is entitled “Follow the Yellow Brick Road to Friendship with The University Club”, influenced by the Wizard of Oz. Please join us at this event to pay your annual dues, speak with and sign up for Interest Groups, and reconnect with old and new University Club friends over coffee and Danish. Over 300 women attend each year, so please join us and bring a friend. This event is free.
I look forward to meeting many more of you this upcoming year. Here’s to another great year of our historic women’s organization, our 102nd year of The University Club in Iowa City.
“While The University Club is not formally affiliated with the University of Iowa, it does endorse and abide by its policies with respect to nondiscrimination and human rights. See http://www.uiowa.edu/~our/opmanual/ii/03.htm”