University Housing & Dining (UH&D) is committed to providing a welcome environment for all students, regardless of sex or gender identity and expression. UH&D recognizes that not all students may identify as female or male. UH&D wants to create an opportunity for those who may identify as transgender, genderqueer, gender non-conforming, and/or non-binary to live in the halls and participate in our living learning communities. All residents are eligible to participate in Gender-Inclusive housing, which is available campus wide. More information on Gender-Inclusive housing can be found on our website.
Most students live in double rooms with a bathroom down the hall, though there are single and suite-style rooms (with private bathroom) available too. The housing website lists each residence hall and its amenities. Under each hall there will be a list which includes whether the floors are co-ed and if the hall has pod-style bathrooms. Pod-style bathrooms are designed so that each floor has several individual, lockable rooms that have their own toilets, sinks, and showers.
All students living on campus belong to Living-Learning Communities (LLCs), which are a great way to make friends and connect with the campus community. UI has over 25 unique LLCs, encompassing a wide variety of options. The All In LLC explores and celebrates the magic and power of LGBTQ+ people, culture, and identity and was founded by LGBTQ+ students with the intent of creating LGBTQ+ friendly housing options for incoming students. Visit the All In LLC website to learn more about the community. This community will be located on a floor with pod-style bathrooms. If living in this community interests you, preference it in your top-ten on your housing application and if space is available, you could be assigned a space on the floor.
How to navigate the UI on-campus housing application as a trans student:
- Log in to MyUI with your HawkID and password.
- On the main page under ‘Student Involvement and Support’ select ‘Housing Application’ to access the online application.
- A new page will open asking for your HawkID and password to be entered and then you will be directed to a page titled ‘University Housing & Dining’. Verify your personal information in the profile summary and that your gender is noted as neutral (this is how the housing system indicates a student as transgender).
- Click ‘Application’ in the black bar across the top.
- Select the term for which you are applying – Academic Year, Spring, or Summer.
- Complete the housing application steps including providing emergency contact information, answering the lifestyle questionnaire (for roommate matching), indicate your living-learning community preferences, agreeing to the terms & conditions, paying the $75.00 fee, and submitting your application.
- If you are interested in living in gender-inclusive housing, make sure to toggle ‘Yes’ on the final question of the Lifestyle Questions page. If toggled ‘Yes’ an email will be sent with additional information.
- Before the start of the semester, you will receive an email or a phone call from a staff member in University Housing & Dining who will talk to you about your housing preferences and options. If you have a preferred roommate in mind, please share that information so they can assist in pairing you.