Museum Studies - Internships
Instructions for MUSM:4080 Museum Internship
Students are required to complete 3 s.h. of internship credit. This can be completed at an institution of the student’s choosing, but first must be approved by the Certificate Coordinator and Internship Faculty Advisor, Heidi Lung. In the past, students have elected to complete internships at museums in Iowa City, off-campus and even abroad (e.g., Old Capitol Museum, Johnson County Historical Society, The British Museum, The Jewish Museum of NY, The Field Museum).
To arrange an internship, students should first review the MUSM4080
and meet with the Museum Internship Faculty Advisor, Heidi Lung to discuss the internship no later than the semester before they plan to start. During this meeting Dr. Lung will explain and share internship procedures and forms. Some internships may require more time, so getting an early start is always best advice. Once students have met with Dr. Lung they should contact the potential museum supervisor themselves. Students register for MUSM:4080:0IND Museum Internship under Dr. Lung's advising instructor number. You MUST register under this course to receive a grade for your internship and to count it towards the certificate. For assistance with setting up an internship, please contact Heidi Lung.
ADDITIONAL INTERNSHIPS OVER AND ABOVE CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS: If you have completed your internship requirement for MUSM:4080 but wish to do additional internships, visit the Pomerantz Career Center website for information on registering voluntary internships (no tuition, 0 credit, added to your transcript): http://www.careers.uiowa.edu/students/register_internship.html
Make sure you read the Internship Agreement and Requirements.
Current and ongoing internship opportunities
For a list of University of Iowa museums and research collections see University of Iowa Collections Coalition homepage.
On Campus Opportunities:
UI Museum Studies Program (contact Heidi Lung) SUMMER 2019-Museum Collections Internship
Pentacrest Museums: UI Museum of Natural History & Old Capitol Museum
- UI Museum of Natural History: Collections
- Museum of Natural History and Old Capitol Museum: Educational Programming
- Museum of Natural History and Old Capitol Museum: Communications and Publicity
- Museum of Natural History and Old Capitol Museum: Membership & Fundraising
- Museum of Natural History and Old Capitol Museum: Digital Interactives & Online Exhibits
Office of the State Archaeologist
UI Stanley Museum of Art
UI Paleontology Repository
The University of Iowa Athletic Hall of Fame
UIHC Project Art and Medical Museum
- Special Collections & University Archives
- UI Libraries Preservation and Conservation Department
- Communications & Exhibits
Off Campus Opportunities:
- Herbert Hoover Presidential Library and Museum
- Iowa Museum Association
- Johnson County Historical Society
- National Czech and Slovak Museums and Library
- National Mississippi River Museum & Aquarium/Dubuque County Historical Society
- State Historical Society of Iowa