Undergraduate Research and Creative Work Fund
Your financial gift provides support to undergraduates who are involved in research or creative scholarship at the University of Iowa.
- “Through research, I was able to incorporate my classes with real life experiences and see how theories in my major can be applied. I received positive feedback and lots of help/advice from my mentor, gained countless benefits, and expanded my knowledge without being in a classroom. On a personal level, my research experience has made me a much more confident and independent individual. I am able to learn at multiple levels and feel that I’ve transformed from a student into a young professional.” - Class of 2013 student researcher
The University of Iowa’s undergraduates are a vital part of our research community and when asked why they support opportunities for young students to get involved in their work, faculty routinely say:
- “[Getting involved in research] can change student’s lives by introducing them to new career paths.”
- “Students bring energy, creativity, enthusiasm, and new perspectives to research, which helps [us] to make new discoveries”
- “Working with students in research is one way to help foster the next generation of scientists, scholars, and professionals.”
Our students feel equally as positive about working with faculty:
- “Working with my faculty mentor has been one of the defining experiences of my undergraduate career. She is fully responsible for the young scientist that I have become. I cannot thank her enough for the enormous impact she has made on my life.” - Class of 2015 student researcher
The most common examples of support include:
-- Research Fellowships - $2,500 supports one undergraduate student for one summer or academic year.
-- Travel Awards - $500-$1,000 provides support for one undergraduate student to present their work at a domestic or international conference in their field
-- Excellence in Undergraduate Research Awards Fund - $100-$500 supports recognition of undergraduates pursuing outstanding research or creative scholarship