The Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates (ICRU) promotes undergraduate involvement in mentored research and creative projects at the University of Iowa. Our goal is to facilitate the mentorship of undergraduate students in research/creative work and to provide platforms for students to explore research communication. We work with students, faculty, and staff from the arts, humanities, natural/physical sciences, social sciences, health and medicine, engineering, and business. If you are a student or faculty member looking to get involved with undergraduate research, you have come to the right place!
What does that mean?
A Brief History
The Iowa Center for Research by Undergraduates (ICRU) was created in 2006 as a collaboration between the Office of the Provost and the Office of the Vice President for Research. Through partnerships with various campus programs, combined with acceptance and validation from faculty, staff, students, and the university, ICRU has since grown from running one Fellowship program to a full-blown support system for undergraduate researchers. Despite its growth, ICRU still holds fast to its original goal to support individual students through helping undergraduates find research and creative work experiences and providing platforms for students to learn research communication skills.
ICRU welcomes the opportunity to collaborate with other University of Iowa departments, offices, and organizations who share a commitment to undergraduate involvement in research and creative work.
- The IBA is a grant-funded program that supports the academic and personal success of University of Iowa students interested in pursuing a Ph.D. in the Biosciences. IBA students have access to hands-on research opportunities that earn competitive wages, a faculty mentor, professional development workshops, career counseling, free tutoring (as needed) and a strong community of students, staff & faculty that value diversity in the Biosciences.
- LSAMP is a program funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF) with the long-term goal of increasing the number of under-represented minority students who enter science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) professions and who earn doctorates in STEM fields. LSAMP Alliances across the country are designed to provide support services at many levels to help interested students succeed in STEM majors and careers and to provide networks with other LSAMP Scholars.
- LSEI is a new University of Iowa opportunity to engage highly talented undergraduate students across scientific disciplines to work collaboratively towards solutions to societal problems. Students learn to communicate science in the public sphere, work in interdisciplinary settings, and demonstrate the “broader impact” of scientific research
- Honors at IOWA enriches the undergraduate experience by cultivating intellectual curiosity and practical skill through challenging coursework, creative engagement, and experiential learning to nurture a deeper understanding of one's discipline and self
- The office of the VPR fuels research, scholarship, innovation, and economic development at the University of Iowa (and are big supporters of undergraduate research).
- The Office of the Provost provides academic leadership to the University. Its fundamental mission is to champion innovation and excellence in teaching, research, creative production, and service.
- THE MISSION of the Women in Science and Engineering Program is to expand and improve educational and professional opportunities for women in all fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) by facilitating individual, institutional, and social change.
- Iowa Research Online preserves and provides access to the research and creative scholarship created by the University of Iowa’s faculty, students, and staff. The research papers, theses, dissertations, books, conference presentations, journals, and multimedia here represent Iowa’s rich intellectual and cultural community.
ICRU Steering Committee
- Professor, Geography
- Assistant Professor, Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Assistant Professor, Nursing
- Associate Professor, Dance
- Associate Professor, Physics and Astronomy
- Associate Professor, Spanish Linguistics
- Professor, Biochemistry
- Assistant Vice President for Research, Communication and External Relations
- Associate Provost for Undergraduate Education; Dean, University College
- Associate Professor, Biomedical Engineering