The Council on Teaching announces the Teaching in Higher Education Travel Award to support faculty members (clinical, tenure-track/tenured, and instructional track) and P&S staff members who require support to attend a conference related to teaching in their discipline or in higher education in general.
The Council on Teaching will review applications following these submission deadlines based on the date of travel:
All funds for fiscal year 2018 have been awarded. Applications are being accepted for travel dates after July 1, 2018 subject to the following deadlines:
Spring 2019 (January-May travel) submit applications between August 15, 2018 - December 1, 2018
Summer 2019 (June-August travel) submit applications between December 15, 2018 - April 15, 2019
Fall 2019 (September-December travel) submit applications between April 15, 2019 - August 1, 2019
To help support faculty and P&S staff members who seek to enhance their professional development by attending or presenting at a conference or institute directly related to curriculum design, course design and delivery, pedagogical good practice, or assessment of learning.
Effective July 1, 2018 awards of up to $1,500 must be applied to the cost of travel, hotel, or conference registration, and must be submitted within 45 days following the event for which the funds were approved. Total institutional resources for these awards will not exceed $20,000 per year. No more than one award will be granted (funded) per applicant in a given fiscal year (July 1-June 30). Due to limited available funds no more than one faculty member from a given department/program will be fully funded ($1500) to attend a specific conference. An Itemized budget for the conference (travel, hotel, registration) must be included in the application.
The Council will review applications following the submission deadlines listed for fall, spring and summer semesters. Applications must be received before the deadline for the time period of the scheduled conference. The Council does not meet in December, January, or summer months.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to pursue other funding for travel through their own college, department or other sources.
Applicants who have been invited or approved to present about teaching at national conferences will be given preference. Such presentations could include workshops, keynote addresses, seminars, demonstrations, posters, and simulations. Applicants who have been invited/approved to present at the conference will be required to upload an abstract during the application process.
The Council on Teaching expects the award recipients to share what they have presented or learned about teaching with the campus. For instance, a recipient could:
- present a workshop to a department, college, or the University in general;
- communicate about the conference to UI administrative decision-makers (e.g., the General Education Committee, Faculty Senate, the Deans and Directors, the Provost);
- mentor new faculty about teaching;
- or communicate ideas and experiences about teaching through print media, including IOWA Now, the Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology newsletter, The Chronicle of Higher Education, or other UI or national media.
Follow up summary requirement:
Following attendance at the conferences, recipients will be required to provide the Council a one-page summary of what they learned about teaching, or if they presented, a one-page summary of their presentation. The Center for Teaching may post these summaries on the Office of Teaching, Learning & Technology and Council on Teaching web sites to encourage others to attend teaching and learning conferences. View summary examples submitted by recipients on this page.
The following list provides examples of appropriate conferences that include significant teaching and learning components. This list is not a definitive, however, and other conferences may be included in award applications.
Teaching and learning in disciplines
- American Society for Engineering Education
- ASEE Chemical Engineering Faculty Summer School
- Empirical Computer Science Education
- Society for the Advancement of Biology Education Research (SABER)
- Gordon Research Conference – Undergraduate Biology Education Research
- Conference on Research in Undergraduate Math Education (RUME)
- Biennial Conference on Chemical Education (BCCE)
- International Conference on Chemistry Education (ICCE)
- Gordon Research Conference on Chemical Education Research & Practice (GRC – CERP)
- American Chemical Society (ACS) – Division of Chemical Education (DivChed) Symposia
- American Association of Physics Teachers National Meetings
- Physics Education Research Conference (PERC)
- Gordon Research Conference – Physics Research & Education
- International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE)
- Institute on Teaching and Learning, The American Physiological Society
- Association of American Medical Colleges Annual Meeting (educational component)
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese Annual Conference
- Computer-Assisted Language Instruction Consortium Conference
- Conference on College Composition and Communication
- TESOL International Convention
- Modern Language Association
- Institute for the Pedagogy in the Liberal Arts
- Foundations in Art: Theory and Education
- APS Institute of Teaching and Learning
Teaching and learning in higher education
- Association of American Colleges and Universities
- American Educational Research Association
- International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- EDUCAUSE Learning Initiative
- Professional and Organizational Developers
- Imagining America
- International Forum on Active Learning Classrooms