About the University of Iowa Collections Coalition
The mission of the UI Collections Coalition (UICC) is to support the educational, research, and service goals of the University of Iowa by encouraging and advancing the professional care, documentation, and study of the artifacts, specimens, and documents in the various collections located in the University community, to make the collections meaningful and accessible to members of the University and general public, and to encourage the professional growth and development of the administrators, curators, and keepers of the collections.
The goals of the UICC are:
- to foster an awareness of and appreciation for the various University collections as important artifactual documents of both departmental and institutional history; and as contributions to the universe of knowledge;
- to increase the current awareness and use of collections in the University community by incorporating collections data into campus informational databases;
- to serve the educational mission of the University by individually and jointly sponsoring exhibitions of artifacts, specimens, and documents held in the various collections;
- to promote the professional growth and development of the UICC members by sponsoring programs concerning collections, and sharing knowledge and information regarding professional issues and concerns; and
- to serve as a forum and mutual support group for UICC members.
- Collection Policies
- Regional Alliance for Preservation
- Iowa Conservation and Preservation Consortium
IMALERT Hotline 319-384-3673
Iowa Museums, Archives, and Libraries Emergency Response Team (IMALERT) will provide a hotline service to cultural institutions experiencing an emergency or disaster.
Iowa City Archives Crawl
Presented by the Obermann Center for Advanced Studies
Saturday, February 24, 2018 - 11:00am to 3:00pm
Free and open to the public.
Five sites. Dozens of libraries, museums, and other organizations. Mystery objects. Short talks on preserving your family treasures, crowdsourcing archival materials, and more. Early local films, including one about the founding of City High School. Behind-the-scenes tours of the UI Library’s Preservation Lab and Natural History Museum’s high-tech specimen storage. All on one big, wintry day.
Get your steps in as you saunter, skip, and slide between:
- University of Iowa Main Library, 125 W. Washington St.
- University of Iowa Rita Benton Music Library, 1451A Voxman Music Building, 93 E Burlington St.
- University of Iowa Museum of Natural History, 11 Macbride Hall, 17 N. Clinton St.
- Iowa City Public Library, 123 S. Linn St.
- State Historical Society of Iowa Research Center, 402 Iowa Ave.
All five sites will be open to visitors between 11:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, February 24.
The Iowa City Archives Crawl will occur prior to the 2018 Provost's Global Forum and Obermann Humanities Symposium, Against Amnesia: Archives, Evidence, and Social Justice.