The current mileage reimbursement rates are as follows:

The rate of .287/mile is applicable if:

  • The trip is more than 100 miles and the traveler chooses to use a personal vehicle when a motor pool vehicle was available.

The rate of .575/mile is applicable in the following circumstances:

  • The round trip distance traveled is less than 100 miles
  • The round trip distance is more than 100 miles and a motor pool vehicle is requested, but is not available.
  • Use of a motor pool vehicle is not possible or not feasible (i.e. faculty or staff members are located in an area not served by campus motor pools).
  • Round trip travel to/from designated airports is greater than 100 miles and the lower airfare cost justifies use of the designated airport.  Designated airports are Moline and Des Moines.

For trip dates in the past other rates may apply

Travel Date Rate for Trips <100 Miles Rate for Trips >100 Miles
Beginning 1/1/20 .575/mile .287/mile
Beginning 1/1/19 - 12/31/19 .58/mile .29/mile
Between 1/1/18 - 12/31/18 .545/mile .273/mile
Between 1/1/17 - 12/31/17 .535/mile .268/mile
Between 1/1/16 - 12/31/16 .54/mile .27/mile
Between 1/1/15 - 12/31/15 .575/mile .288/mile
Between 1/1/14 - 12/31/14 .56/mile .28/mile
Between 1/1/13 - 12/31/13 .565/mile .283/mile


Local Mileage, Parking, and Traffic Violations

The University does not reimburse employees for mileage, parking or any other commuting costs for travel to their primary work location or between areas on the main campus where Cambus provides service. This includes employees that may have more than one primary work location which may change on a daily basis. Personal use mileage, fines and penalties for traffic or parking violations are not reimbursable.

Personal use mileage includes: visiting, site seeing, side trips and commuting between office and home. 

Frequent Flyer Miles

Frequent flyer miles earned on University Business travel are considered the property of the University of Iowa. Frequent flyer credits used towards travel on University Business, whether earned on personal or business travel, are not reimbursable as there is no cash outlay for such a transaction. 

Departmental Procurement Cards

The University of Iowa Visa Card is issued to all departments who wish to have one. Applications may be requested from the University Purchasing Department. Limits are set at the time the card is requested up to a monthly limit of $10,000 and up to a single transaction limit of $5,000. There are two card options:

  • Procurement Card with Travel - This card allows most travel expenses to be charged. It is an excellent tool for paying travel expenses as well as other departmental expenses.
  • Procurement Card without Travel - One of the departmental credit card's biggest advantages is that it offers an option of prepaying conference registration fees in a faster, more convenient way than by Voucher & Invoice. When submitting the Credit Card Voucher after payment has been made, the department must provide a copy of the registration form, traveler's name, social security number, trip dates and location of conference.

For information on obtaining a Visa Card and on what items may purchased with this card see the Procurement Card Training Manual on the Policy menu of the Procurement Card web site.

Generic Receipts

A generic receipt is any receipt that does not have a preprinted or stamped conference/hotel/vendor name and is not sufficient as proof of payment. Expenses substantiated by a generic receipt will not be reimbursed unless accompanied by additional documentation. This may include one of the following:

  • Copy of back and front of canceled check
  • Duplicate check and bank statement
  • Credit card statement
  • Letter or new receipt from conference confirming payment

Travel Assistance/Insurance

The University of Iowa offers medically based travel assistance through ZURICH TRAVEL ASSIST™ as a part of  its Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) Insurance coverage.   If you choose AD&D coverage as a part of your benefits package, you are covered by this medical and emergency assistance program.  Zurich Travel Assist  is in effect anytime you travel more than 100 miles from your home and can respond to medical and legal emergencies throughout the world.  Benefits include medical evacuation, emergency medical referral, prescription assistance, and more.  See the University Benefits AD&D Insurance page or for more information.  Contact the UI Benefits office, 335–2676,  if you have questions or need assistance with this program.